How To Recycle Your Christmas Tree
A real Christmas tree is one that can be recycled. The use of plastic is detrimental for our environment, avoid buying plastic trees. If you got a nice green bushy tree from a tree farm, don’t throw it away after you put down your Christmas decorations. These trees are biodegradable, and can be reused or recycled for mulch and other purposes. Let’s take a look at how to recycle your tree and the purposes it can be given.
How to recycle your tree
There are many ways in which you can recycle your tree. Here are some suggestions to dispose of your tree. Do some research in your community, as these options might vary from one county to the other.
1. Curbside pick-up: most communities have recycling regular pick-ups schedules. Look for your community’s schedule and leave your tree to be picked up.
2. Recycling Center: take your tree to your nearest drop-off recycling center. You can usually take up to two trees to recycle free of charge.
3. Tree recycling mulching programs: This is a fast-growing trend program in some communities. The trees are chipped and shredded to make mulch which you can use in your garden. Check with your local department of public works and with the local hauler.
4. Nonprofit pickup: There are several nonprofit organizations that take care of picking up your tree if you notify them. Some Boy Scout Troops offer this service in exchange of a small donation.
Recycled Christmas tree uses
- Soil erosion barriers: In some communities, Christmas trees are used to make sand and soil erosion barriers, mostly in lakes or river shorelines.
- Fish feeders: trees can be sunk into ponds to make refuge and feeding areas for fish.
- Bird feeders: instead of throwing away or recycling your tree, you can place it in your backyard and use it as a bird feeder and sanctuary.
- Mulch: since a tree is biodegradable, you can remove its branches and chip it with a chipper if you have one or use a neighbor’s chipper.
- Paths for hiking trails: shredded trees can be used as free, renewable path material in hiking trails.
Living a green life and being conscious of our actions will help contribute to our environment and Planet. Take action today! Read more about how to recycle in the kitchen and where to get green unique furniture in Denver.