Applying the 3 Environmental R’s
They’re not forgotten, they’re not something of the past. The 3 Environmental R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) are here to stay and we need to remember to live life in a way we can constantly apply them. We have a responsibility with our Planet, and the only ones who can save it, it’s ourselves. Living a green and conscious lifestyle requires making an effort and putting into practice some of the following actions. Let’s learn how we can put the 3 Rs into practice.
Putting the 3 R’s into action
The first thing we need to do to stop the amount of waste, is stop making more of it ourselves. Here are some ways to do that:
- Thoroughly think before buying something, make sure you really need it and see if you can borrow it, for instance.
- Buy products that don’t have a lot of packaging or buy products wrapped in biodegradable and recycled material.
- Print only what you need. Get your magazine and newspapers subscriptions online as well as your invoices.
- Turn off any lights you’re not using and turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth or doing the dishes.
We’re constantly throwing away things we can easily reuse. The easiest way to do it, is washing a container after its first use and then reuse it. Here’s a list of things we can reuse:
- Use cloth sacks and bags instead of plastic ones.
- Reuse plastic containers for lunch bags.
- Reuse zip locks and other plastic bags (cereal linens, microwave meal trays, coffee cans).
- Don’t throw away old clothes, toys, towels or bed clothing; instead, donate it or repurpose it.
Recycling programs are available every day now. Check with your community haulers for curbside recycling and to find other organizations that take in materials for recycling. Not all plastic can be recycled, and rules for what is accepted change from community to community. Learn what type of plastic is accepted in yours and try avoid purchasing the kind that is not recyclable. This is detected by the number in the chasing arrow symbol.
There are many other materials that are easily recyclable such as: aluminum cans, paper bags, paper towels, milk cartons, newspapers, paper, glass, among others.
Take action today and contribute to our Planet by following the 3 R’s in your life. Read more about how to make art out of recycled materials and learn how even animals recycle and do their share to help the Planet.